What an exciting time for so many sports fans out there!!!! Happy Super Bowl XLVII…are you ready?
I want to share a great Super Bowl recipe from one of my favorite recipe books “100 perfect pairings” written by a good friend, Jill Silverman Hough. I thought these mini pesto burgers would go great with the 2011 Passaggio UNMARKED Pinot Noir. What could be better than sitting in front of the big screen watching your favorite team, surrounded by wonderful friends, awesome food, and great wine. These sliders will be a big hit – trust me!
mini pesto burgers – serves 6
3/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (about 1 1/2 ounces)
2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
1 clove garlic
2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt, divided
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 pound 85 percent lean ground beef
6 slices provolone cheese
1 tomato, cut into 6 slices
6 white, whole wheat, or sourdough dinner rolls, split horizontally
(photo taken from page 106 in “100 perfect pairings”)
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the basil, Parmesan cheese, pine nuts,garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper and pulse to finely chop, scraping down the bowl as necessary. With the motor running, slowly add the olive oil and process until smooth, scraping down the bowl as necessary. Set the pesto aside.
- Shape the beef into 6 patties, about 3 inches in diameter and 1/2 inch thick. Cut the provolone cheese slices so that they are 2 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Prepare the grill to medium-high heat and lightly oil the grate. Sprinkle both sides of the patties with the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.
- Grill the patties to desired doneness, about 3 minutes per side for medium. During the last minute, place a slice of provolone cheese on top of each patty and place the rolls cut side down on the grill, to melt the cheese and lightly toast the buns.
- Place the tomato slices on the bottom halves of the rolls, pesto, and the top halves of the rolls and serve.
Have a great Super Bowl Sunday – I hope your favorite team wins…